Wednesday, February 15, 2012

First Days In Penang

We've been in Malaysia now for about 10 days and are finally starting to feel settled in a little bit. We have:
  • Internet installed
  • Furniture (which required a 4 hour each way drive to Kuala Lumpur)
  • Cable
  • Someone to clean up after me and Emily (that's not Tica)
  • Someone to take out the trash (that's not me)
  • Have found the grocery stores, banks, places to eat, a day care for Emily
  • Have been to the hospital twice - everybody is fine now, but there were some scary moments
  • A new baby on the way (2.0 will be here in August)
  • Have been the victim of a crime (hit and run)
  • Have been to the police station (3 of them to be exact) to report the hit and run
  • And have little Emily back on a sleep schedule - finally. I think she's the most adjusted of all of us as you can see from the photo below.


The above picture and the two below are from our ocean facing balcony. We also have a construction site facing balcony and a balcony that faces the mountains and the town of Pulau Tikus (which means island of rats), but this one has the best breezes. And despite being on the opposite side of the house from the kitchen is where we like to eat most of our meals at home.


A typical day looking down and out from the same balcony


The photo below is the view that greets me every morning from my bedroom window. It's definitely a different experience living in a high rise apartment, but the views are stunning all day long. I find myself looking for excuses to gaze out the windows - and they're not hard to find.

This photo is the view just to the left of the one above that includes the Reclining Buddha temple(golden spire), and the Burmese Buddhist temple (across the street from the Reclining Buddha. There is also a Mosque there somewhere that I have yet to find, but I get to hear the beautiful echos of The Call to Prayer a few times a day so I know it's there.


We still have a lot to do before we'll feel we're completely settled, but it's nice to have couches to sit on, dishes to cook with, and many of the other niceties that make modern life so comfortable.

5 comments:

Brandi Hyer said...

What, a baby! I am so excited! Congrats, I can't wait to watch your family grow. I love all of you. Maybe this time you will name her after me ;)

peggy hyer said...

What! that is so cool. I am so excited for you and your family. Hope Tica is well. I can see Emily is, she is happy where ever she goes. Love you all.

Katie Goulding Sierer said...

So happy to see you guys are doing well! What a view---must be amazing to be so close to the ocean.

What is your due date in August?

Good luck with the continued adjustment!

Tica said...

Thank you guys! We're pretty excited about the new addition although I have to say it's a bit crazy with all the changes we're going through at this time.
I am doing well except I haven't been able to exercise :( Just taking it one day at a time with all the adjustment/shopping.
Due date is August 29!

katherine said...

Loved this post! Sounds like you are getting settled. Beautiful pictures! Hope the jobs at going well and Emily likes her daycare.